Saturday, February 13, 2010

Zanzibar, finally

Some places like Timbuktu, just sound like fable cities once mentioned in childhood bedtime stories. Sometime last year as my best friend was planning our next holiday, villa in Bali or Phuket? 4seasons in Langkawi, there were many choices, but none sounded exciting, all were fine for a 2/3 days weekend get away, but for a 4/5 days Chinese new year weekend, only a place like Zanzibar would do. As I was trying to figure out how best to tell her that I had no interest in a familiar comfy luxurious beach holiday, she asked me herself, where do you want to go? Zanzi?

So fast forward weeks later, I am in Zanzibar, after flying 2 legs of econ class on Emirates totalling 16 hr not counting the 6 hour transit. + a one night stayover in a beach hotel near by Dar es Salaam that took almost 3 hr plus total RT (incl a short ferryride) & a 2 hr delayed flight on Precision Air that had no air con/ air and freaky airline safety standards. (though they did manage to kick off almost 10 passengers that already boarded due to overload), while sweating the way I would normally in a sauna, I kept on thinking of whether the 2 hr ferry ride may have been wiser??

still it's worth the trip. Even though I could have just lounged around Asia in an Aman/4 seasons/Banyan/6 senses. It's the discovery of new sights, smells, senses that I crave for over and over again. Arrived into the Zanzibar palace hotel only to be reminded not to take comfort for granted. Coz the island has not had electricity since December so even the hotel generator runs even less hours per day vs the beach hotel I stayed in last night close to Dar es salaam, still, a very pretty town, kind of like living in a postcard, yet so much more interesting, too bad it's such a short stay

No comments: